Adv

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Mencari Cinta di Pulau Pinang - Love In Penang

Do you know that love and good food are inseparable? If you're going to impress a girl on a first date, bring her to a place that serves really good food, you can take my word for it. It doesn't have to be a five star restaurant. It can just be a simple mamak stall or a road side cendol, but the food have got to be really good. 
Now I think you understand why we associate love with Penang. ;)
To be frank, I've only been to Penang a few times in my whole life, and each time, it was on a business trip. So, when I received the invitation to contribute to this anthology, I was torn. I would love to come up with a love story but I couldn't remember exactly the places I've been to in the island. I have this tendency to describe real locations in my stories, so not knowing the places poses some difficulties to my writing process.
So, what I did was, I wrote a story about a girl who wanted to start a new life in Penang. She was not familiar with the island and a big part of her life, especially her heart was left in KL. 
Coincidently, the character names I used were from my earlier story published in KOPI Anthology. If you've read it, the story title is Bersaksi Kopi. If you haven't, then too bad because the book is a limited edition and will not be reprinted. 


But you can always read my short story titled 'Runaway' in this anthology without knowing what Bersaksi Kopi is all about. I don't want to make your life miserable. I'm a very considerate writer, like that....;)
So, Runaway is about running away. You have to read it to find out who's running away from what. 
It was a difficult story for me to write because romance is just not my forte. It took me a few days just to come up with the conflict. You see, in my novels, almost all conflict was solved by someone getting killed. It couldn't be so in a love story. Since I couldn't bring myself to kill any of the characters, I wrote a happy ending (at least it made me happy. Hehehe...)


The book is now available on Amazon.com as well as FIXI website.
Go! Go! Go! You know you want it!


No comments: